Seed Potatoes and Mice

 

I am sure I am not the only one that found last years blight  drastically reduced the crop of potatoes on my plot and, to be honest, this year I am a little sceptical about trying them again because the blight was so destructive. But this is not the only problem, after purchasing and chitting up my potatoes in the shed things only got worse.

Firstly the potatoes would not chit up successfully, am I the only one finding this a problem this year? Perhaps it was the supplier or variety, perhaps the cold weather, but the problems did not stop there. After re-entering my shed one afternoon to check on the ‘chitting up’ I found small nibbled holes on some of my potatoes. Then I found a small fly, and presumed that was the culprit. However, a few days later the problem had spread to other potatoes, even though the shed had been well cleaned. On closer inspection I noticed the holes had been gnawed at, and the remains left like saw-dust next to them.  All was revealed by the small trail of mice droppings next to the bench, i had no idea they climbed as high as they do, or burrow deep underneath the shed. There was no sign of a mouse or possible shrew, but the damage had been done. I wonder whether anyone else out there has had the same problem? The most concern i have ever had over a potato is possible rotting during storage, i did no even consider the seed potato as a problem area but I shall guard my potatoes from seed to supper next time.

A couple of tips:

Place the trays of seed potatoes on raised platforms, standing each tray on top of a large, plastic flowerpots, well away from anything mice can possibly climb or jump from.

Use dustbins in the storage stage if you find using bags or sacks are still being nibbled at by unwanted visitors, specifically metal dustbins means that no nibbling whatsoever will occur.

log storage bins which, if you have a large quantity of potatoes,
might be better for you in the longer term. You could sub-divide them
yourself for the different types of potatoes or just keep the potatoes in
sacks.

Keep an eye on the compost heap too, often small field mice and shrews create their beds in here and be careful to always check heaped waste for bonfires. Of course, if there are any signs of rats this is a big no no for the allotment and always inform someone in charge of the sight, such as the council.

(Of course these are more rodent friendly ways of scaring the mice off, I am trying to detain any need for mousetraps)

No comments:

Post a Comment